Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Day four: First site of Digital Printing Division

I started my day with a welcome rain and last official day with Cris Hao. There are some other formalities, such as an IP address and a official email account, to get on to work.

They gave us lapies for starting our work. Surprisingly, everything is in Korean language. I will change the language to English after few hours from now. Another thing we got here is the ‘New Employees’ Education Masterials’ S/W R&D 2 Group. It consists of many presentations on Software Engineering. The person who gave me this asked us to read it and get ready for work. I came as surprise to me when I looked into its contents.

For the first time I entered the lab I will be working for a couple of weeks from now. Most of the ppl were busy in embedded programming for printers. Hope I will be working the similar stuff. Till now I don’t have any idea of kind of work we are going to here. Probably will work on device driver stuff or it can be something other than this. Hey it turned out to be imaging area (Rohit worked on this). It looks like the stress is more here and probably I will miss Kolkata in this way. I was very relaxed there and know what to do and where approach. I had my own research problems to work on and already formulated the strategy for solving them.

I feel it really difficult to remember the team members’ names. Hopefully I remember them after a couple of days. Environment and work culture is different when compared with my previous work place. I hope a person will enjoy the life at an academic institute much more than an industry.

This definitely will give a lot of exposure to me as an international intern to the company. I also will learn how do work on value oriented products that have market value and can be easy accessed by the customers.

I hope for the best to happen to me here at Suwon Korea and the labs. Working on image processing will be fun, though I have not worked on it before. Hope to learn lots of good image processing techniques here. Application of very efficient algorithms can also be a major area I will be looking forward.

At the end of the day, I came to know about the project it is related to image processing and need to convert images between different formats, such as Pdf, Tif, Jpeg and other formats used in the market. This is a different project from, what I have done in my PhD. It looks challenging and I am happy to work on this.

During office time Cris (HR person at Digital Media) made duplicate keys of our apartment and handed over to us. I and Rohit were given new keys. A washing machine and dust bins were kept in house. He deserved a definite appreciation for his work during office hours.

Today as there was no IP and email for me I was informed that if I want I can go to home at 5:30Pm. I waited for Rohit and then we both started for home at 7:20Pm. The sky was as bright as 5:30Pm. Then we thought that the day at Korea is bigger than India.

For the first time we took the bus to go home. I took a round in the city and Rohit was checking for our stop. Unfortunately we dropped on a wrong stop and walked to towards home. On the way we bought some fruits and went to home. Reached fourth floor, flat number 404 in apartment number 922, we started trying the keys given by Cris and could not open the lock. Till 8:30Pm we tried to call Cris but he was intelligently escaped. We don’t have Chau’s friend number, by which we can call him and enter home with his keys. At the end we decided to go to internet and took a round of the city and spend an hour on internet. At 10:30Pm we came back to home and luckily Chau was there at home.

All together it was a tough day for us. We strongly believe that the coming days will be far better than this. We pray Almighty for the same.